Assistant Profession – Interdisciplinary General Education –
The Interdisciplinary General Education Department at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2015. Candidates specializing in visual and material culture with interdisciplinary and/or cross-cultural competencies are especially welcomed to apply (period and region of expertise open, pre-modern preferred).
At the heart of the Interdisciplinary General Education Department is an interdisciplinary GE program with a linked and integrated sequence of 8 courses in the humanities and social sciences. Primary duties are:
- Teaching thematic lower division GE courses. Please check the department website for more information on the courses offered http://www.csupomona.edu/~ceis/interdisciplinary-general-education/index.shtm
- engaging in scholarly activities, including but not limited to research and publication, fellowship and grant programs, and other programs;
- participating in activities and service relating to the mission of the department, the College of Education and Integrative Studies, the university, and the community at large. Applicants whose work incorporates an interdisciplinary approach are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Earned doctorate – by December 31, 2014 – in Art History, Area Studies, Classical Studies, Cultural Studies, Humanities, Anthropology, Archeology, or other appropriate discipline with emphasis in visual and material culture from a regionally accredited institution in the US or from a non-US institution with equivalent accreditation.
- Evidence of scholarly engagement and potential.
- Experience of successfully teaching undergraduates at a college or university setting.
- Active participation in professional associations or networks related to area of expertise.
- Cross-cultural and interdisciplinary expertise.
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching.
- Pre-modern area of expertise.
- Experience with general education at a college or university setting.
- Demonstrated commitment to active, student-centered learning
A completed application will consist of:
- a letter of interest that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a completed Application for Academic Employment form (http://academic.csupomona.edu/faculty/docs/application.pdf);
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists); and finalists for the position will be required to provide three letters of reference dated in 2013 or 2014.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than October 15, 2014. Early response is encouraged. Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application materials to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Sheena Huang
Interdisciplinary General Education Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3347 FAX: 909.869.2006
Cal Poly Pomona is one of two polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system. Our ethnically diverse student population of approximately 22,000 enrolls in 52 baccalaureate, 26 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit students increasingly from throughout California and beyond. The students are success and career focused and extremely diverse. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution.
We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W. K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in one of the most dynamic economic and cultural regions in the country, and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
The College of Education and Integrative Studies is a learning community focused on meeting the present and future needs of students in our communities. We educate students to become highly qualified and significant leaders in our society. We are committed to the principles of diversity, ethics and social justice, and life-long learning. Central to our mission are innovative and integrative thinking, reflective practice, collaborative action, and learning by doing. Please see www.csupomona.edu/~ceis for more information.
Founded in 1983, the Interdisciplinary General Education Department (IGE) offers students a unique and stimulating choice to fulfill their general education requirements. At the heart of IGE lies the concept of an integrated core: a curriculum that explores human experience across the multiple perspectives of different disciplines. The IGE Program introduces participants to different ways of examining concepts and ideas, fostering a connective ability–a power to see all knowledge as interrelated. Ernest Boyer explains:
As students see how the content of one course relates to that of others, they begin to make connections, and in so doing gain not only a more integrated view of knowledge, but also a more authentic view of life.
IGE provides an interdisciplinary undergraduate general education experience that prepares students to lead globally conscious, socially responsible, productive, satisfying, and ethical lives in a changing diverse world.
Please see http://www.csupomona.edu/~ceis/interdisciplinary-general-education/index.shtml for more information.
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.
The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://dsa.csupomona.edu/police/securityreport.asp. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.