The Interdisciplinary General Education Department at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2016. The department seeks candidates specializing in US history in global perspective with emphasis in environmental studies, environmental justice, sustainability, food justice, global poverty, or other related fields.
The Position: At the heart of the Interdisciplinary General Education Department is an interdisciplinary GE program with a linked and integrated sequence of 8 courses in the humanities and social sciences with a commitment to active learning pedagogy. Primary duties are: (1) teaching thematic lower division GE courses on both US and global topics across different time periods. Please check the department website for more information on the courses offered http://www.cpp.edu/~ceis/interdisciplinary-general-education/index.shtml (2) engaging in scholarly activities, including but not limited to research and publication, fellowship and grant programs, and other programs; (3) participating in activities and service relating to the mission of the department, the College of Education and Integrative Studies, the university, and the community at large. Applicants whose work incorporates an interdisciplinary approach are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Earned doctorate — BY DECEMBER 31, 2015– in US history or other social science fields such sociology, anthropology or other relevant disciplines with US and global historical focus from a regionally accredited institution in the US or from a non-US institution with equivalent accreditation.
- Evidence of scholarly engagement and potential.
- Experience of successfully teaching undergraduates at a college or university setting.
- Active participation in professional associations or networks related to area of expertise.
- Background in environmental studies, environmental justice, sustainability, food justice, global poverty, or other related fields.
- Cross-cultural and interdisciplinary expertise.
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching.
- Expertise in the modern era.
- Experience with general education at a college or university setting.
- Demonstrated commitment to active, student-centered learning.
- Experience in teaching US and global topics
Application Procedure: A completed application will consist of:
- A letter of interest that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- A statement of teaching philosophy;
- A completed Application for Academic Employment form (http://academic.cpp.edu/faculty/docs/application.pdf);
- A transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists); and
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide three letters of reference dated in 2014 or 2015.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than October 15, 2015. Early response is encouraged. Please submit your application online: https://cpp.formstack.com/forms/ige_history_position.
Address all other inquiries to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Ms. Sheena Huang
Interdisciplinary General Education Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3347 FAX: 909.869.2006