Founded in 1969, the Western Association of Women Historians (WAWH) is the largest regional women’s historical association in the United States. WAWH holds an annual spring conference for the presentation of scholarly work, new research, the discussion of teaching methods, writing, and other issues of importance to women scholars.
Our 52nd Annual Conference will be held at the Ayres Hotel in Costa Mesa, CA from April 23-25, 2020.
Call For Papers
The Western Association of Women Historians invites proposals for panels, roundtables, posters, workshops, and individual presentations in all fields, regions, and periods of history.
We particularly encourage non-traditional formats and topics. These could include panels and roundtables focused on pedagogy, women in academia, public history, digital humanities, academic publishing, career paths, activism, etc. We also strongly encourage participants to replace the traditional 20-minute paper reading with shorter and more interactive presentation styles. We expect that all panels will be diverse in their composition.
Priority will be given to proposals for complete or partially complete sessions. Individual papers will be considered secondarily; we strongly encourage participants interested in submitting an individual paper to seek out fellow panelists for collaboration via our online spreadsheet, and to contact the Program Committee early to ask about possible chairs and/or commentators.
WAWH welcomes scholars in all careers and at all career stages.
Membership and Registration Requirement: WAWH membership and 2020 conference preregistration will be required of all conference presenters. The membership year runs conference to conference. Membership is open to all, and membership fees range from $25–$60 per year based on income. (Learn more below.)
Deadline for submissions for the 2020 Conference: October 31, 2019
Links for submissions forms
- Individual paper
- Submit yourself for the Book Launch
- Submit yourself as a chair/commenter/moderator
Download the 2020 WAWH CFP (PDF)
WAWH Membership, 2019-2020
Members of the Western Association of Women Historians receive lower conference rates. Membership for the 2019-2020 membership year makes the member eligible for the 2020 WAWH awards and prizes and to present at the 2020 WAWH conference. A three-year membership makes the member eligible to apply for awards or to present through the 2022 conference.
To initiate a new membership, renew your membership or gift a membership please use our secure online Membership form.
2020 Conference FAQs
Please visit our Conference FAQs for information about:
- What you should expect and responsibilities of panelists, roundtable speakers, chairs/moderators, commenters, workshop participants, poster presenters; session time, session technology and some key presenter do’s and don’ts.
- Funding for graduate students.
- How teachers/faculty/professions can make WAWH a good experience, especially for graduate students.
- Poster sessions.
- Meal options during the conference.
- Opportunities to socialize.
- The Dessert and Champagne Book Launch.
- The WAWH Mixer.
- If you are on the program but have an emergency and cannot attend.
- Thoughts about if it is fine to come in for a few hours for your panel and then leave.
- If you have a problem during the conference.
- Tweeting at the conference.
- WAWH policy on harassment and inclusion.
- How to get more involved in WAWH.
If you have any unanswered questions, please contact our Executive Director, Sarah Gold McBride.